Friday, May 22, 2009

Mississippi River Trip


The date is set for the Mississippi River Trip. The plan is to leave Channahon, at the State Park and head west via the I&M Canal Trail. The trail ends in LaSalle Peru so from there it will be road until I hook up with the Hempkin Canal Trail. At it’s end I will be taking what looks like on the map to be farm roads and then make my way to the river. With no campgrounds anywhere near by, I plan on being adventurous and doing some stealth camping. From what I figure, it looks like 145 mile one way. I’m going to Bikely the route so I can have a better idea of mileage, towns along the way (just in case) and get a better idea of where I’m going to set up camp. I plan on using the M201 for the trip. I will, however, need to make some modifications. The carbon fiber Spinergy’s are fast but in the event of a wheel break I’d be screwed. Going with the traditional spokes, but still going to use the City Slicks because of there narrow profile and low rolling resistance. Luckily I had a front wheel. I’m going to search Craigs list to see if I can find an inexpensive rear wheel with an 8 speed cassette. Depending what I plan to bring with I may purchase a set of front panniers. From what I read, a front fender is a must and I’m sure I will be grateful in case of rain. (please see wish list ) Food will be my only problem. Getting there with enough to eat should not be a problem, returning without the ability to refrigerate anything over night, limits my options. I read in Adventure Cycling about freezing food for the next days use . . . Uhm, I’m going in the middle of July ! May end up feasting on Gue Packs and protein bars for the return trip.

1 Comment:

Ross said...

““Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.””
J.R.R. Tolkien