Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mississippi River Trip



On July 11th 2009 I set out on a two day, 330 mile cycling adventure from Channahon Illinois, over the Mississippi River and on into Iowa.
I've rode over 330 miles in two days, camped in the middle of the woods, met some nice people, crossed three quarters of the state by bicycle and returned in one piece. I hit road blocks, detours and head winds, ate cold beans for lunch and dinner and took an unexpected mud bath in Marseilles Illinois. Fatigue, hunger or summer heat was never an issue. The hot shower on my return was great, but nothing compared to bathing in the Mississippi .I've already begun planning my next adventure, but for now here are my observations of my Mississippi River Trip.

Turtles are the Evil Knievel of the reptile world
Geese fear nothing
People are more willing to help you than you think
The Mississippi is not as wide as the songs say it is
I have a “Nice ass”. As per the two girls driving on Rt. 6 in Spring Valley
The world is truly flat and falls off just past Bradford.
Most people you come in contact with are very interested in your trip
I can out run an International Harvester Combine Tractor
Cows come when you call them
I can get VERY used to this way of life
Nothing is blacker than the forest at night
There is never a car in sight until you pee by the side of the road
There is a simpler way of life
People will always give you directions . . . whether you need them or not.
I am stronger both mentally and physically than I thought I was
The wind will blow at you no matter what direction you are ridding
Bypassing “town” means more hills
After the first 100 miles fear and failure are no longer an option
Check out the pictures of my trip on the You Tube video below


.

0 Comments: