Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Three Town Favorites



I hate this time of year. Although it in no way means that the cycling season has come to an end, it does mean colder temp's and that white stuff all over the place. The Performance will get it's new chain, bottom bracket, and cranks. It will be striped down, cleaned and put on the trainer for my indoor winter ridding. My last ride on the Performance will be my "Three Town Favorites". This covers Channahon, Morris and Seneca.
Beginning in Channahon at the state park I set out on to Bridge Street and take that to Hansel Road. Hansel, just past the new sub division offers a great hill to fly down ! (The return trip back up is not quite as fun.) Left on McClondon Road will turn into Cemetery Road and end in Morris at Armstrong Street. From there, it's trough town and on to Old Stage Road. Somewhere between the I&M Canal Trail access and Rt. 170 it becomes Union Street. I love this part of the ride during the summer as it offers very little shade. At Rt 170 and Union I am in Seneca and there is a nice place to take a break by the old grain elevator. Depending on what the wind is doing I either return via Rt. 6 or the I&M Canal Trail. The trail offers shelter from the wind but on the down side sometimes is clogged with slower bike traffic. (what part of "on your F@*#'n left" don't some people understand? !) As Rt. 6 offers only a gravel shoulder (at times) it is necessary to ride on the road, forcing a straight line and constant speed as to not piss off the motorists . . . . too much. Looking at it from a fitness point of view, Rt6 offers the best work out as a posed to hammering the trail.
That I will save for my winter ridding on my GT. Click "Greg's Routes" in the links box to view route map
Pictures to come.

0 Comments: